Yellow or Red Lentil Dal
A savoury, no-fuss dish, great served with rice.
- 1 cup yellow or red lentils
- 1 medium onion, diced
- salt, to taste
- pinch of turmeric
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- ½ Tbsp cumin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- a few curry leaves
- coriander leaves for garnish
- cutting board and knife
- medium sized pot
- hand blender
- saute pan
- wooden spoon
- Place lentils in pot and add water in a 1:3 ratio of lentils to water. Let the water come to boil and cook until lentils turn soft and tender.
- Add onion, salt (skip for babies) and turmeric into the lentils.
- Once all the water evaporates, puree the lentils. I used a hand blender.
- In separate pan, add oil and sauté cumin seeds, garlic, and curry leaves for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add this mixture to the lentils and mix altogether. Garnish with coriander.