Vegetarian Burrito Bowls
Pile on your favourite toppings with this recipe for Vegetarian Burrito Bowls—the perfect recipe for a quick dinner with friends, or a great meal…
- FOR THE BOWL:
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (540 mL) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (398 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup jalepenos, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Green onion (for garnish)
- Lime slices (for ganrnish)
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Juice of one lime
- large pot, or rice cooker
- large skillet
- small mixing bowl for sauce
- variety of bowls for toppings
- Cook brown rice in a large pot or rice cooker according to package instructions.
- In a large skillet, heat up olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, jalapenos, and chili powder
- Turn heat to medium-low and let the mixture simmer until most of the liquid cooks off.
- Meanwhile, gather other ingredients and chop them if you haven't already. Place ingredients in small bowls for serving.
- In a small mixing bowl, make the sauce by combining salsa, Greek yogurt, hot sauce, and the juice from 1 lime.
- Once bean mixture is cooked, divide up the rice and bean mixture into four bowls. Add other toppings and desired garnishes, and serve!
Make this bowl-style recipe fun for the whole family! Put various toppings out on the table, and let family members garnish their own bowls with their favourite toppings. Get creative with your own toppings - the possibilities are endless!