Here's a delicious way to serve rutabaga. Perfect for brunch or as an accompaniment to a roast chicken dinner.
- 6 cups chopped rutabaga (about 2 medium)
- 2 cups chopped carrots (about 4 carrots)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- cutting board and knife
- large pot
- potato masher
- measuring cups and spoons
- 8-cup casserole dish
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Peel rutabaga and carrots and chop into chunks.
- Put chopped rutabaga and carrot into large pot; add water to almost cover vegetables. Bring to a boil and cook until soft enough to mash.
- Drain vegetables. (You can save the liquid for soup stock.)
- Return vegetables to pot, add butter and mash with potato masher until fairly smooth.
- Mix in eggs, flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt unil well blended.
- Put into a well-greased 8-cup casserole dish.
- Stir together the breadcrumbs and butter. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the vegetable mixture.
- Bake in a 350° F oven for 40 minutes or until browned on top.