Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken
This chicken dish is so easy and everyone loves it!
- 8–10 chicken pieces - bone in (I like to use breasts, thighs and legs)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 750 mL jar tomato sauce
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- oil for frying chicken, about 1/4 cup
- measuring cups and spoons
- shallow bowl or plate
- large skillet
- tongs or spatula
- 1 or 2 oven proof shallow baking dishes - enough to hold the chicken pieces in a single layer
- medium bowl
Preheat oven to 350°F
- Remove the skin from the chicken pieces. Don't forget to wash your hands thoroughly before and after this step.
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl or plate.
- Heat about 2 Tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour and brown it in batches in the oil, for about 4 minutes on each side.
- As the chicken browns, transfer it to one or two oven proof shallow baking dishes that will hold all the chicken pieces in a single layer.
- Pour the tomato sauce into the bowl. Add the brown sugar, vinegar and cinnamon.
- Spoon the sauce over the browned chicken pieces.
- Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for about 40–50 minutes or until it reaches 74° C (165° F).
"This chicken dish is so easy and everyone loves it. In his grade 12 year my son Hamish and a friend were in charge of cooking for fifteen people on a school ski trip. They made this chicken dish one night and it was a huge hit. While the chicken is cooking, put some rice on and prepare your vegetables."