Sweet Potato Taco Bowl
Easy, delicious, and vibrant, take taco night up to the next level!
- 1-2 Tbsp chili powder (more if you like it spicy, less if you like it mild)
- 1 Tbsp sweet smoked paprika (feel free to use hot smoked paprika if you like extra spicy)
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne powder (optional, very spicy)
- 1 lb (454 grams) sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-2" cubes (approx.)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb (454 grams) extra lean ground beef
- 1 can (14 oz. or 330 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn, either from can or 2 ears of corn (shucked and kernels removed from ear)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved OR 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- measuring cup and spoons
- small bowl
- cutting board and knife
- baking tray
- wooden spoon
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a small bowl mix together chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, oregano, garlic power, onion powder, and cayenne pepper (if using).
- In a baking tray, toss sweet potatoes pieces with vegetable oil and half the seasoning mixture from the small bowl, about 2 tablespoons. Bake for 15-20 minutes until tender and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook beef in a skillet over medium-high heat for about 5–7 minutes until cooked through. If necessary, drain any large quantities of fat from skillet, leaving about 1 tablespoon. Add beans and remaining seasoning mixture from the small bowl. Toss to fully coat beans and beef with seasoning. Continue to cook until beans are heated through.
- To serve either place all ingredients in separate dishes for family style serving, or make individual bowls before serving at the table.
- Serve with any desired optional garnishes (sour cream, jalapeños, sliced green onion, chopped cilantro leaves, lime slices, crumbles feta, etc.).