Sweet and Salty Granola Bars
A hint of sea salt and chocolate make these granola bars a go-to snack for our whole family.
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 2 cups water
- 3 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup flour (we use spelt flour)
- 1/4 cup ground flax (or an extra 1/4 cup of flour)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 2/3 cup natural peanut butter (or peanut/nut free option ie: sunflower seed butter)
- 1/2 cup honey (or 1/3 cup agave syrup)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp coarse seasalt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- oil for greasing the pan
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 2 Large bowls
- Hand blender or whisk
- Mixing spoon
- 9" x 13" baking pan
- Combine water and lentils in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer (covered) for ~ 10 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Drain any excess liquid and allow to cool.
- Combine oats, flour, flax, coconut, sesame seeds, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together until well blended.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease the baking pan.
- In a separate large bowl, combine lentils, peanut butter, honey, maple syrup, and vanilla. Blend with a hand blender or manually with a whisk.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix until just blended. Add chocolate chips and mix well.
- Transfer mixture into the greased baking pan and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Allow to cool, cut into bars, and enjoy!