Spinach Quinoa Muffins
A savoury twist to the classic muffin.
- DRY INGREDIENTS
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup white flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- WET INGREDIENTS
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup palm sugar
- 1 medium mashed banana
- 2 cups of dry spinach leaves (should amount to about 1 cup of processed spinach)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- chopped walnuts or almonds
- large batter bowl (dry ingredients)
- small batter bowl (wet ingredients)
- food processor
- measuring cups and spoons
- large spatula
- muffin tin
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- Prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners or oil.
- Put 2 cups of dry baby spinach leaves into a food processor and pulse until the leaves resemble a purée. You should have about 1 cup of chopped spinach total.
- Combine dry ingredients (minus the quinoa) in larger bowl and whisk.
- In smaller bowl, whisk egg and sugar together until incorporated and light in texture. Add remaining wet ingredients and whisk.
- Pour dry ingredients into the wet mixture and stir just to combine—do not over-mix. Gently fold quinoa into the mixture.
- Pour batter into muffin tin to about 3/4 full each. Top each muffin with chopped nuts of your choice.
- Bake for 20 minutes until centers set or a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Enjoy while warm.
Marisa comments, "Beautiful green colour – perfect for St. Paddy’s Day!!!"