Spanish Chicken and Rice Supper
Make Sunday night more than all right. The whole family will gather around this one-pan dish filled with so much deliciousness.
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- ½ tsp crumbled saffron threads (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 small plum tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup small pimiento-stuffed green olives
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped parsley
- measuring cups and spoons
- cutting board and knife
- small bowl
- large bowl
- large skillet with tight fitting lid or foil
- Remove peas from freezer.
- In a small bowl, stir paprika with salt and pepper; sprinkle all over chicken.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a very large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until golden, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to large bowl.
- In same pan, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Add red pepper, onion and garlic; cook 2 minutes.
- Add rice; stir to combine. Add broth, milk, saffron, if using, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Return chicken and any juices to pan. Nestle chicken in rice. Cover with a tight-fitting lid or foil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Uncover and scatter tomatoes and peas over rice. Cook covered until liquid is mostly absorbed and rice is tender, 10–15 more minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in olives and sprinkle with parsley.