To make the cake batter
- Melt the butter then allow it to cool.
- Add butter to a large mixing bowl with the flour, ground almonds and icing sugar.
- Add in the unbeaten egg whites.
- Whisk the mixture together for 2 minutes.
- Cover the batter and rest it in the fridge for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
Meanwhile, prepare the caramel
- Combine the sugars, honey, water and lemon juice in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium-high; it will take about 3 minutes to heat up, then boil it for 3 minutes.
To assemble and cook
- Divide the caramel between 6 tart pans then top with slices of peach.
- Ladle the batter over top of the peach and caramel.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Immediately, when the cakes come out of the oven, turn them upside down onto a tray. Carefully transfer the cakes to a serving plate. This is delicious with vanilla ice cream.
This is a family recipe passed to Sophie from her great, great aunt. It is rather like a tart more than a sponge cake. Watch Sophie help to prepare this recipe here.