- Bring a medium saucepan of water to boil. Remove from heat.
- Place rice vermicelli noodles in boiling water, remove from heat, and let soak 3 to 5 minutes, until soft.
- Drain, and rinse with cold water.
- Fill a large bowl with hot water. Dip one rice wrapper in the hot water for 1 second to soften.
- Lay wrapper flat,and place desired amounts of noodles, shrimp, carrot, lettuce and basil in the center.
- Roll the edges of the wrapper slightly inward. Beginning at the bottom edge of wrapper, tightly wrap the ingredients.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Dipping Sauce: In a small bowl, mix the hoi sin sauce with water until desired consistency and heat.