A special occasion recipe passed down through the generations.
- 400 g sugar
- 10 eggs (whites and yolks will be used separately)
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 300 g grated walnuts
- 50 g chocolate
- 1 Tbsp instant coffee
- 200 g butter
- Measuring Spoons
- Double boiler
- Two 8 " x 11" baking pans
- Mixing bowls
- Cooling rack
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Separate egg whites from egg yolks (save the yolks for the filling).
- Whip egg whites in mixer.
- Add 1/2 the sugar (200 g).
- Gently fold the flour and walnuts into the egg/sugar mixture.
- Gently spread into buttered and floured baking pans.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and then set aside on cooling rack.
For the Filling:
- Whip the egg yolks and remaining 1/2 of the sugar (200 g).
- In a double boiler slowly cook the sugar and yolk, chocolate, instant coffee until thick.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Whip the butter and slowly add (spoon by spoon) the cooked egg mixture as you continue to whip the butter.
- Spread the filling onto the cakes to decorate.
This is an old "heirloom" recipe from my great grandmother who would make this Torte for every special occasion. Definitely not low in calories, but very tasty and special.