Quick Canned Salmon Pasta with Zoodles
This colourful one-pot meal from upbeet.ca uses canned salmon to make a fast, fresh and delicious dinner in minutes.
- 80-100g whole grain pasta, dry
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 4 shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 pinches red chili flakes
- 1 small-medium zucchini
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- Juice of half a large lemon
- 2 Tbsp capers (with 1 Tbsp of the brine)
- 3 handfuls spinach
- 1 x 213g can of salmon
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Feta or Parmesan cheese, for topping
- cutting board and knife
- medium pot, for cooking pasta
- large saute pan
- vegetable spiralizer
- garlic press
- wooden spoon or spatula
- small bowl, for cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions in salted water. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add shallots, tomatoes, thyme, a few cranks of freshly ground black pepper and the chili flakes. Cook for 7-9 minutes, stirring often, until shallots are nicely browned and tomatoes are soft.
- While the shallots are cooking, use a vegetable spiralizer to make your zucchini into zoodles.
- Add garlic, lemon juice and zoodles to the tomato mixture, and cook for a few minutes more. Continue to stir frequently.
- Add capers (and brine), spinach, pasta and salmon. Break salmon apart with a fork and include 1 Tbsp of the canning liquid. Use tongs to combine sauce and pasta. Cook until the spinach is wilted and pasta is hot.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with cheese.