Puto Flan (Rice Cake Custard)
Puto Flan is a new dessert in the Philippines, combining 2 traditional and popular snacks—Puto (Rice Cake) and Leche Flan (Milk Custard)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 large egg white
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup (190 g) condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- butter or margarine for brushing
- cherries (optional)
- 10–12 puto or cupcake molds
- pastry brush
- measuring cups and spoons
- mixing bowl
- small sieve
- Brush rice cake molds with butter/margarine.
- Mix all flan ingredients in bowl.
- Strain and pour in molds; steam for 5 minutes.
- Mix all rice cake ingredients in bowl.
- Pour on top of cooked flan. Steam for 12 minutes.
- Cool completely and remove from molds.
- Top with cherries. (optional)