Ninja Veggie Chili
Ninja Veggie Chili is a great way to cook with veggies of your choice. That heaping golden mound is quinoa!
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dried quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 can kidney beans (or mixed beans, or black beans, or both! Get bean crazy!)
- Handful of chopped spinach
- Veggies of your choice! Suggestions: mushrooms, zucchini, onions, garlic, red/green peppers, green onions
- CHILI SEASONING
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- pinch cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp each of onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano and dried basil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste
- large soup pot
- smaller pot
- measuring cups and spoons
- cutting board and knife
- Dice onion and sauté over medium heat with a little olive oil in your large stock pot; add a smashed clove of garlic into the mix. Sauté until fragrant and the onions are looking translucent on the edges.
- As that is cooking, make your quinoa in your smaller pot (one 1/2 cup of dry quinoa to 1 full cup of water). Allow this to come to a boil, then turn it down to medium-low heat for about 15 minutes. Set that aside when it's done.
- Into your large stock pot add the tomato paste, canned tomatoes, beans and seasoning. Allow to come to a boil then turn to a simmer and taste. Adjust your seasonings as you like.
- Simmer for about thirty minutes. In the last 10 minutes add in your veggies and quinoa and then just before serving, stir in a handful of chopped spinach into each bowl.
Gut happy and heart healthy!