Lila Cooks Mama Feng's Famous Wontons
While not exactly a secret recipe, Lila was honoured to be let in on this special family dish. Now she's sharing with you!
- 1.5 lbs ground pork
- 1.5 or so cups of chives (available at many Asian produce grocers), diced
- 1/2–1 cup shitake or other mushrooms, diced (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp premium light soy sauce, depending on your taste
- 1 Tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1–2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 package fresh wonton wrappers
- DIPPPING SAUCE
- 1/3–1/4 cup soy sauce (the same one used in the filling)
- 2 Tbsp Chinese black vinegar
- 2–3 Tbsp Sichuan chili oil (for a kid-friendly version, leave this out and serve it on the side)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- some cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
- large bowl
- measuring cups and spoons
- cutting board and knife
- small bowl of water
- small frying pan for cooking a test sample of the filling
- small bowl for dipping sauce
- large pot for boiling wontons
- slotted spoon
- Mix filling ingredients, except the wrappers of course, together. To test the flavour of the filling, fry up a small patty in a pan and make sure that it's salty enough. You want the filling to veer on the slightly saltier side so that once it's wrapped, the flavour won't be lost. If the filling is too bland, add more soy sauce.
- To fold wontons, place a small amount of the filling in the centre of a wonton wrapper. Dip your finger in water and run it around the outside edge of the wonton. Fold wrapper over filling, then roll/fold once more. Gently press the open ends of the wonton down, being sure to remove any trapped air around the filling. Then, bring the ends together, and dabbing a little water on each end, press them together. Note that this is only one of dozens of ways to fold a wonton.
- To cook wontons (do this in batches), bring a pot of cold water to a boil and add salt. Gently put the wontons into the boiling water and gently stir it around so they don’t stick to the pan or to each other. Cook the wontons until they all float to the top, then continue boiling them for another 2-3 minutes.
- While wontons are cooking, combine the dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl and stir.
- Remove wontons from pot with slotted spoon and place into serving bowls. Spoon dipping sauce and or chilli oil over wontons, garnish with some diced chives and eat!