Lamb Kabobs with Yogurt-Cucumber Sauce
Loaded with fresh herbs and warm spices, these tasty barbecued ground lamb skewers are served with grilled lemons and a tangy yogurt sauce.
- 1 lb ground lamb
- ¼ cup grated onion
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp each fresh parsley and mint, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp each ground cumin and coriander
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 lemons, halved
- YOGURT CUCUMBER SAUCE
- 1 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
- ½ cup cucumber, diced
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp each ground cumin and coriander
- ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- pomegranate molasses (optional)
- bamboo skewers
- measuring cups and spoons
- cutting board and knife
- medium-sized mixing bowl
- small mixing bowl
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for 15 minutes.
- In medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together lamb, onion, bread crumbs, egg, parsley, mint, cilantro, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, cinnamon and cayenne.
- Shape 2 Tbsp lamb mixture into small sausage shape; repeat with remaining lamb mixture. Thread kabobs lengthwise onto skewers.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat; grease grate well and grill kabobs, turning occasionally, for 10–12 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, grill lemons, cut side down, for 3 to 5 minutes or until well marked.
- In smaller mixing bowl, whisk together yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, mint, honey, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Serve kabobs with yogurt sauce, grilled lemons and cucumber slices.
Drizzle kabobs with pomegranate molasses for a hint of sweetness.