Irish Soda Bread
Crusty, slightly sweet and wholesome. Bring a little Irish to your table!
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) chilled butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Large bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Heavy baking sheet
- Cooling rack
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Spray heavy baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Whisk both flours, sugar, and baking soda in large bowl to blend.
- Add butter and cut in until it is reduced to pea-size pieces.
- Add buttermilk; stir until shaggy dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface.
- Knead until dough comes together, about 10 turns.
- Shape dough into 7-inch round.
- Place dough on prepared baking sheet. Cut a large X, 1/2 inch deep, in top of dough.
- Bake bread until deep brown and bottom sounds hollow when firmly tapped, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer bread to rack and cool completely.
Read more about Irish Soda Bread here.