Hearty Bran Muffins
Tasty baking that's great for sharing
- 1 1/2 cups wheat bran or oat bran
- 1 cup buttermilk (see Note)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or other vegetable oil such as canola
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or whole grain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- standard 12 cup muffin pan
- large bowl
- measuring cups and spoons
- 12 paper muffin liners, optional
- Preheat oven to 375° F and grease or line with muffin liners a standard 12 cup muffin tin.
- Mix together wheat bran and buttermilk, let sit while preparing other ingredients.
- In a large bowl, whisk together apple sauce, oil, egg, brown sugar, and vanilla. Add bran/buttermilk mixture.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir until just combined**.
- Spoon batter equally into muffin tin and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a tester (toothpick) comes out clean.
Muffins will last 5-7 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
** if you're a diehard raisin fan, here's where you would add 1/2 cup. Dried cranberries would also be yummy with a teaspoon of orange zest added in as well. Or, in the warmer months, Blueberries (fresh or frozen) would be a dream!
Note: Instead of buttermilk, one can use soured milk; simply add 1 tsp of lemon juice and top with milk to make 1 cup (250 ml) of buttermilk. Let sit for 5 minutes for the lemon juice (acid) to activate. This can also be done with swapping unsweetened soy or almond milk for the dairy milk.