Fresh Pasta with Kale and Hazelnut Pesto
This home-made pasta dish features an original family recipe for a pesto made from kale and hazelnuts.
- FRESH PASTA
- 6 large eggs
- 600 grams all-purpose flour
- KALE AND HAZELNUT PESTO
- 3 cups, packed, baby kale
- 50 g hazelnuts
- 50 g parmesan cheese
- 250 mL olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- pinch of salt and pepper
- large bowl
- kitchen scale
- plastic wrap
- cutting board and knife
- pasta machine
- immersion blender or food processor
- measuring cup
- baking sheet or cast iron pan
- large pot for boiling pasta
TO MAKE THE DOUGH
- On a clean counter, make a mountain of the flour with a well in the middle. Alternatively, you can do this in a large bowl, making it a bit easier for kids to handle.
- Add all 6 of the eggs to the well, and mix together slowly with a fork. If you're working on a countertop, keep the eggs in the well as you incorporate them. Once the eggs have been fully incorporated, your're ready to knead the dough.
- Dust your clean countertop with flour to prepare for the kneading stage, so that your dough doesn't stick to the surface. Remove the dough from the bowl, if you've used the bowl, and knead the dough on the floured countertop until it becomes elastic in texture. Now the dough will need to rest.
- Return the dough to a clean bowl and cover with plastic wrap or simply wrap with plastic wrap and set it aside for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Remove plastic wrap and cut dough into 6 equal portions on the cutting board. Shape each piece into a flattened oval with your hands to prepare pasta for rolling in a manual pasta machine.
- Feed the oval into the pasta roller over and over, starting with your dial at the highest number and working your way down to the lowest number (i.e. 8 to 1). The result will be a long, flat pasta noodle.
- From this point it's your choice how to cut it. You can use a linguini cutter, a fettucini cutter, hand cut and shape...we often opt for fettuccini.
- Keep in mind that fresh pasta cooks quicker than dry (approximately 7 minutes) so you will need to reduce your cooking time accordingly and check for doneness often.
KALE AND HAZELNUT PESTO
- Preheat oven to 150° C (300° F).
- Place hazelnuts on a baking sheet or in a cast iron pan and bake for approximately 4 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In an immersion blender cylinder or in the bowl of a food processor, mix the kale, parmesan, olive oil, garlic and salt & pepper.
- Add the toasted hazelnuts, once cooled. Pulse to combine into a smooth paste and enjoy with your fresh pasta!