Forget the take out: make your own california roll at home- with real crab!
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 1/8 cups water
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup crab meat
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 sliced avocado
- 2 sheets nori
- measuring cups and spoons
- pot for cooking rice
- 2 small bowls
- plastic wrap or bamboo rolling mat
- Rinse sushi rice in cold water until it runs clear.
- Add rice and water to a pot and bring to a boil. Cover and turn heat down. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove rice from heat and keep covered for another 10 minutes.
- Combine rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl and stir mixture into rice.
- Mix crab meat and mayonnaise together in another small bowl.
- Place nori on a piece of plastic wrap or a bamboo rolling mat.
- Press half of the rice onto the nori sheet, leaving a margin at the edge for sealing the roll. Place half the crab mixture on top of the rice, at the front end of the mat. Add half the sliced avocado to the crab. Roll the nori tightly around the mixture.
- Repeat for the second sheet of nori.