Coconut Cream Pie
A family favourite and a classic, made with milk and coconut milk.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/3 sticks unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 4–7 Tbsp cold water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup flaked unsweetened coconut, toasted, for garnish
- measuring cups and spoons
- food processor
- plastic wrap
- rolling pin
- pie plate
- 1 quart saucepan
- small and medium-sized bowls
FOR THE CRUST
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, sugar and salt. Pulse to mix.
- Add shortening and butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the ice water, starting with 4 tablespoons. Pulse, adding more water one tablespoon at a time as necessary, until the dough comes together when pressed in your hand.
- Place the dough onto plastic wrap. Wrap firmly and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- After the dough is chilled, take about half (I used a little more). Roll it out to about 1/4 inch thick and so it is wide enough to fit easily in your pie pan. The other half can be frozen, wrapped in plastic and foil and placed in a zipper bag for up to 2 months to be used for another pie.
- Place the rolled dough into your pie pan. Flute the edges of the crust and refrigerate it for 30 minutes more.
- While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 350° F. Once the dough is chilled, bake for 30–35 minutes, until light golden brown, rotating halfway through if necessary. Allow to cool completely.
FOR THE FILLING
- In a 1-quart saucepan, over medium heat, combine sugar, coconut milk and 1 cup of whole milk. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup whole milk and cornstarch. Make sure the cornstarch is fully combined in the milk.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and salt together. Slowly add about 1/2 cup of the heated milk mixture to the egg yolks while whisking vigorously.
- Add the egg yolk mixture along with the cornstarch mixture to the milk in the pot. Cook the mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, for about 2 minutes, until it has thickened considerably.
- Remove from the heat and add the coconut, vanilla and butter. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the filling into the cooled pie shell and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. You may cover it if you like with plastic wrap, but I reallly like the skin that forms from leaving it uncovered.
- Once the pie is chilled, top with toasted coconut and serve. Pie may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. It may not be frozen.