Chops 'n Gnocchi
Warm and hearty meal for the whole family to enjoy!
- Fresh ground pepper
- Olive oil
- One 4-ribbed pork roast or one lean rib chop per person
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Fresh herbs of your choice, coarsely chopped (e.g. basil, rosemary, dill)
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 cup of cream or milk
- 500 g gnocchi
- One handful of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large cast iron pan
- 1 large non-stick pan
- Cutting board and knife
- 1 large pot
- Wooden spoon
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Prepare the chops
- Salt and pepper the chops.
- Sear quickly in a hot cast iron pan in a little oil.
- Place cast iron panful of chops into the pre-heated 400° F oven to finish cooking—about 10 minutes. Meat should measure 74° C (165° F) on a digital food thermometer.
Prepare the sauce and gnocchi
- Boil a large pot of salted water; keep it simmering.
- In a large medium-hot non-stick pan, heat 1–2 Tbsp of olive oil. Add mushrooms, and after a minute or two, add shallots, then garlic, stirring all the while.
- When done to your liking, add the herbs and squeeze the half lemon all over. Toss.
- Add the cream or milk and some fresh cracked pepper.
- Toss the gnocchi into the boiling water and cook until they float, about 2-3 minutes.
- Strain, leaving them quite wet, and add them to the mushroom mixture. Fold together.
- Add the parmesan cheese and 1 Tbsp. butter.
- Turn the heat low. This will keep until your chops are done.
Wendy writes, "This is a nice hearty, warm meal in minutes which my family loves. I chop everything before I start cooking. I serve it with a hot homemade baguette and a side of canteloupe or grapes. Enjoy!"