Chocolate Snack Time Squares
So simple to make, these tasty squares are great for school, home or work!
- 1 cup oat flakes or quick oats (barley or wheat flakes also work well)
- 1/2 cup flour (we use spelt flour but any grain flour will do such as oat, barley, or all-purpose)
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt (optional)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds (sunflower seeds or chopped nuts work too)
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (sub in agave nectar, honey, or sweetener of your choice)
- Oil (for greasing the pan)
- Large bowl
- Measuring cups and measuring spoons
- Mixing spoon
- Small bowl
- Whisk or fork
- 11 x 7 inch (28 x 18 cm) baking dish
- Spatula or knife for spreading
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C).
- Brush an 11 x 7-inch (28 x 18 cm) baking dish with oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, place oat flakes, flour, cocoa, cinnamon and salt. Stir well.
- Add chopped dates and sesame seeds. Stir well to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Add applesauce and maple syrup. Add to dry ingredients, and stir well to combine.
- Spread mixture evenly in prepared baking dish.
- Bake until the squares are firm to touch, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool before cutting into squares.
Kids enjoy mixing and measuring the ingredients so why not make the preparation a family affair? If food allergies are a concern, not to worry, these tasty squares can be gluten free and nut free if desired!