Looking for a no-brainer, go-to, "what should I make for dinner this week" meal? Chicken Fajitas: Recipe and image from foodess.com
- 4 Tbsp oil (divided use)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 5 bell peppers, assorted colours, thinly sliced
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- limes, sour cream, grated cheese, guacamole for serving
- measuring spoon
- cutting board and knife
- large Dutch oven
- wooden spoon
- Heat a large Dutch oven over high heat for several minutes. Add 2 Tbsp of the oil and when it's shimmering hot, add the chicken thighs. Season well with salt and pepper and cook, undisturbed, until well browned, about 3 minutes. (When they are ready to flip, they will lift easily without tearing.) Flip and cook until opaque, about 3 minutes more.
- Heat remaining oil in same Dutch oven over high heat and add peppers, onions and jalapeño. Season well with salt. Cook, stirring fairly frequently until onions are soft and deep golden, and peppers are charring in spots, about 30 minutes. Taste and add more salt as needed.
- Cut or tear chicken into bite-sized pieces and return them to the pot along with any accumulated juices. Cook just until chicken is reheated, a minute or two, then serve with tortillas and desired toppings.