These cheese straws are simple to make and your guests will certainly be impressed.
- package of puffed pastry—thawed
- 185 mL grated old cheddar (or any other sharp flavoured cheese of your choice)
- sesame seeds
- 1 beaten egg
- flour for dusting counter
- rolling pin
- cookie sheet
- parchment paper or silicone liner (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Dust your counter with flour. Place thawed pastry puff dough on the floured surface and a little more on the dough to prevent the rolling pin from sticking.
- Roll out the pastry dough until it is 1 cm thick. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold over and roll out again. Fold over a second time and roll out to half a cm thickness.
- Cut the dough into 1.5 cm strips. Take each strip and twist several times. Place on cookie sheet and brush each strip with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.