Cauliflower Sweet Potato Latkes
Eye-catching Cauliflower Sweet Potato Latkes
- 1 large head of cauliflower, about 1 1/2 lbs
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- 3/4 cup flour (or corn starch)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large sweet potato, grated
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- vegetable or grape seed oil
- applesauce, cranberry sauce and or sour cream for serving
- measuring cups and spoons
- cutting board and knife
- microwave-safe covered bowl
- large spoon
- large nonstick skillet
- cookie rack and cookie sheet
- Chop up the cauliflower and microwave in in a covered bowl, without water, until it can be easily pierced by a fork.
- Mash the cauliflower, then toss with the remaining ingredients, except the oil.
- In a large, nonstick skillet, heat a drizzle of the oil over medium-high heat. Make the pancakes by placing 2 Tbsp of the batter onto the hot skillet, flattening them with the back of the spoon.
- Sauté until the bottom of the pancakes are nicely browned—between 3 and 5 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook for about 3 minutes longer.
You will probably have to make them in a few batches, so keep the first ones warm in a 200° F oven, on a cookie rack placed on a cookie sheet. Serve with applesauce or cranberry sauce and sour cream.
Tip: To get the lacy crunchy edges, grate the sweet potato lengthwise so you get long strands. For neat, round little patties, grate finely instead.