Butter Chicken Skewers
All the flavours and richness of the classic Indian curry come through – on skewers! It’s a fun twist that’s perfect for serving a crowd or…
- 1 cup (250 mL) yogurt
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) garam masala
- 1 tsp (5 mL) honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 lbs (750 g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 red onion, cut into chunks
- 2 red peppers, cut into chunks
- 2 green peppers, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL canola oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain 2% milk fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) English cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ( 1 mL) salt
- BUTTER CHICKEN SAUCE
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) garam masala
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground turmeric
- 2 cups (500 mL) tomato purée
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) 35% whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cilantro, chopped
- cooked basmati rice or naan bread, warmed
- measuring cups and spoons
- 2 cutting boards and knives, one for poultry and one for veggies
- large bowl
- mixing spoon
- baking sheet
- wire rack to fit baking sheet
- medium-sized bowl
- large, straight-sided skillet
- In large bowl, stir together yogurt, lemon juice, ginger, garam masala, honey and garlic; add chicken, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 425º F (220º C). Remove chicken from marinade; shake off and discard excess. Toss together chicken, onion, and red and green peppers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Thread one piece of red pepper, one piece of green pepper, one chunk of onion and one piece of chicken onto wooden skewers. Repeat two more times.
- Place wire rack on foil-lined baking sheet. Brush all over with oil then arrange skewers on rack. Bake, turning once, for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, stir together yogurt, cucumber, cilantro, green onion, coriander, cumin and salt. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day.
BUTTER CHICKEN SAUCE
- Melt butter in large, straight-sided skillet set over medium heat; cook onion for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and ginger; cook for 1 minute. Stir in garam masala, coriander and turmeric; cook for about 1 minute or until well combined and fragrant.
- Add tomato purée and lemon juice; simmer for about 15 minutes or until slightly reduced. Stir in cream and salt. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and sprinkle with cilantro.
Serve chicken skewers over a bed of basmati rice; spoon Butter Chicken Sauce over top. Serve with dollops of Raita.
- Take some of the cooking outside—fire up the grill and grease the grates well. Cook the skewers over medium heat, turning often to prevent sticking, until well-marked and cooked through.
- If serving with naan bread, simply stack naan and wrap in foil, then place in the oven alongside the chicken for 10 to 12 minutes or until warmed through. Or, brush both sides lightly with oil and grill until lightly toasted.