Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
Mmm. Brussel sprouts never looked or tasted so good!
- 1 lb of Brussels sprouts
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1–2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1–2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5–10 slices of pancetta or bacon
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- toasted pumpkin seeds
- paring knife
- vegetable steamer
- large sauté pan
- paper towels for draining the bacon
- Wash sprouts and peel off any loose leaves. Place sprouts in top part of steamer and steam until just cooked (approximately 10 minutes). When done, rinse with cold water.
- Immediately squeeze lemon juice over top. Note: this can be done up to a day ahead to free up stove space and save time!
- Before proceeding to the next step, cut each sprout into either halves or quarters. The smaller the pieces, the more kid-friendly they are!
- Very lightly coat the bottom of a large sauté pan with olive oil. Cut bacon into strips or chunks. Slowly cook until soft and done, but not overly crispy.
- When the bacon is done, remove and place on paper towel to drain. Pour off any excess grease at bottom of pan.
- Add garlic to pan. When slighly soft, add sprouts, remaining oil and pepper to taste. Heat through. Add bacon back to pan. Sprinkle roasted pumpkin seeds on top.
- Toss and serve.