Berry Baked Oatmeal
Quick to prepare, this comforting warm dish also makes tasty leftovers
- 1 Tbsp oil or butter, for greasing
- 2 cups fresh or frozen fruit (raspberries, blueberries, etc)
- 1.5 cups steel cut oats
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, slivered almonds, or sunflower seeds
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp oil or melted butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (optional)
- Yogurt (optional)
- Deep casserole dish or large lasagna pan
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Whisk or fork
- Grease a deep casserole dish or lasagna pan.
- Spread the berries evenly across the bottom of the dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, coconut, nuts/seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt.
- Pour the oat mixture evenly over the berries.
- In the same mixing bowl used before, beat the egg and then mix in the milk, vanilla, oil or butter, and maple syrup.
- Pour the milk egg mixture over the oat mixture, but do not stir.
- Let sit in the fridge overnight.
- Ensure the oven rack is in the middle of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Bake for 60 min or until the top is slightly firm and golden.
- Serve with a scoop of yogurt.
Note: If you're serving babies, you can mix 1/4 cup of peanut butter or sunflower seed butter into the egg/milk mixture, instead of adding nuts or seeds to the oat mixture.