Fragrant. Comforting. Simple.
- 4 medium baking apples* washed
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 tsp (20 mL) light brown sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup (60 mL) raisins or cranberries or a combination of both
- ¼ cup (60 mL) goat cheese
- ¼ cup (60 mL) pure maple syrup
- vanilla ice cream (optional, but highly recommended)
- *Select your favourite variety of apple but avoid Red Delicious; they don't hold up well to heat.
- apple corer or paring knife
- parchment-lined baking sheet
- measuring cups and spoons
- small bowl
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- Remove the core from each apple with an apple corer or paring knife and create an opening about 1 inch (2.5 cm) in diameter, being careful to leave the bottom of each apple intact. Place the cored apples on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, nuts and raisins in a small bowl. Divide and spoon the mixture into the hollow of each apple. Divide the cheese and press it lightly on top of the nuts and raisins. Drizzle with maple syrup.
- Bake the filled apples for 30–40 minutes, or until the apples are soft and you can easily pierce them with the tip of a knife; baste occasionally with the maple syrup.
Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.