Apple, Cheddar and Tuna Melt
Quite possibly our favourite tuna melt!
- 1 170 g tin tuna, drained
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon juice
- ¼ cup (50 mL) celery, diced
- ¼ cup (50 mL) red onion, diced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- fresh ground black pepper
- sourdough baguette
- ¾ cup (175 mL) cheddar cheese, grated
- medium sized bowl
- measuring cup and spoons
- cutting board and knife
- cookie sheet
- Place tuna in medium-sized bowl.
- Add mayonnaise (you may want a little more than my desired amount), lemon juice, red onion, celery and apple.
- Grind the pepper in to taste. Combine well.
- Slice 8 slices from the baguette, about 1/2 –inch (1 cm) thick.
- Cover baguette slices with the mixture, then sprinkle each slice with the cheddar cheese.
- Place rack on top portion of oven and turn on broiler.
- Place the slices on a cookie sheet and put under broiler for 2 to 3 minutes. You want your cheese to be bubbly and brown but not burnt, and you want the slices to be warmed through.