Russian Pickled Vegetables
- 5 medium cucumbers
- 1/2 large zucchini
- 1/4 large onion
- 1/4 cauliflower head
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 stem of dill
- a few mint leaves
- 1 L water
- 500 mL more water (optional)
- 1-2 Tbsp salt
- 4 tsp pickling spice
- measuring cups and spoons
- cutting board and knife
- medium pot
- 2 medium jars (about 750 mL each)
- 2 small jars (about 250 mL each)
2 medium (750 mL) jars
Recipe submitted by:
- Wash your veggies (and your hands).
- Place 2 tsp of pickling spice into each jar.
- Chop dill and mint and divide among jars.
- Place 1 clove of garlic into each jar.
- Place 5 cucumbers insde the first jar.
- Chop cauliflower piece and zucchini into eighths. Chop onion into rings. Place into second jar.
- Pour 1 L of water inot a pot and set to boil. Once boiling, dissolve 1–2 Tbsp salt in the water. Let the water cool slightly. Divide the water between the two jars.
- If required, use the two small jars, filled with water, as weights in the two medium jars to keep the veggies down. Let sit overnight.
- Refrigerate in the morning.