- Cook rhubarb and water over heat, stirring occasionally until rhubarb is of sauce consistency, about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, blend sugar and corn starch. Blend a little of hot sauce with cornstarch. Add to the sauce in the saucepan and continue cooking, stirring constatnly until thickened and clear, about 5 mintues.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Add sugar and rolled oats; cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pat half of crumb mixture into a greased 8" square pan. Spread with rhubarb mixture and sprinkle remaining crumb mixture on top.
- Bake in oven at 350° F until lightly browned, 30–35 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve warm with whipped cream.
Tyla Gulbranson of Vanderhoof won first place in the senior category with this recipe in the 4-H Roots to Recipe contest at the 2013 PNE. She used BC rhubarb in her recipe.