- Cut the onions and garlic.
- Place a large sauté pan on the stove top and turn on to medium-low heat.
- Add the olive oil, let heat up then add the onion. Cook the onion until very soft, about 10 minutes, adding the garlic part way through. Watch that it does not burn.
- Cut the eggplant, red pepper and zucchini and rosemary. Add to the onion mixture, turning up the heat to medium. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables start to soften, about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Cut the tomatoes then add to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and let the ratatouille cook slowly over a low heat for about 15 - 20 minutes, until the ratatouille is soft and juicy and the flavours come together.
- Add the lemon juice, hot sauce (if using), chopped basil and parsley. Stir to combine.
- Serve right away.
- Leftover ratatouille never goes to waste. Use it in an omelette, toss it with cooked pasta, use as an appetizer on toasted baguette slices or use as a topping on grilled fish or chicken. Mmmmm.