- In Dutch oven or large heavy pot, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions and cook until softened. Add all other ingredients, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 2 hours. Check seasoning and adjust as needed.
If using a slow cooker:
- Brown onions separately and then transfer to slow cooker before adding all other ingredients. Cook chili in slow cooker on high setting for 5 hours or low for 10 hours.
Preparing the bread bowl
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Using a sharp knife, cut about 1/2 inch of the top of the bun, then make the inside of the bun hollow by removinbg all but about 1 1/2 inches of bread. Using a brush or spray bottle, apply oil to the inside of the bun.
- Place buns on baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned on the inside.
- Remove from the oven and serve filled with pumpkin chili.
Savvy Mom says, If you haven’t got any cooked chicken on hand, add diced raw chicken to the pot once the onions are finished and cook through. If serving chili to a crowd, hollow out a large round loaf of bread to make a serving bowl. Turn up the heat on your chili by adding a few minced chili peppers.