- Heat oil in a deep frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Squeeze sausage from casing directly into the pan and break uncooked sausage up into little pieces with a fork.
- Add basil and oregano and sauté with sausage, about 8–10 minutes, until done.
- Add green and white onions, red and green peppers, mushrooms, bay leaves and chicken bouillon cubes, and cook for another 10 minutes, being careful not to overcook the vegetables.
- Add tomato pasta sauce and diced tomatoes and bring to a low boil for 30 minutes. Add cream and half of the parmesan. Let simmer for another 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring a pot of salted water to the boil and add the penne. Boil until al dente and drain.
- Toss penne with about 2 cups of the sauce (just enough to coat it) and place on a serving platter.
- Top pasta with another 2 cups of sauce and the remaining parmesan.
- Place remaining sauce in serving bowls and set around the table along with the parmesan cheese for the table.
"Growing up with an Italian mother and a trio of sisters, Pat could have stayed right out of the kitchen, but thankfully for all of us lucky pals, he obviously didn’t!" writes Shelley Adams.
"We all dream about driving down our driveways finding a husband like Pat hovering over the stove, creating traditional pasta dishes with mucho amore!
"Buying good quality pasta sauce, pasta and homemade sausages is totally worth it.
"Go to Star Grocery in Trail, BC and ask for Pasquale!"