- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and eggs until thoroughly combined.
- Whisk in milk and melted butter.
- Pour into the unbaked pie shell.
- Bake in preheated oven until the centre is set, about 35–40 minutes
Serve at room temperature with lightly sweetened whipped cream. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Recipe from Anita Stewart's CANADA: The Foods, the Recipes, the Stories.
Anita says: “While you can used tinned puréed pumpkin for this recipe, the wonderful squash that can be found all autumn long at our farmers’ markets are also fabulous in this pie. Simply steam or bake them, scoop out the flesh and purée or mash it. Any leftover can be frozen for use as a vegetable or for another batch of this delicious pie. This is my mother’s recipe and I’ve not tasted better. Mind you, I am a tad biased.”