BASIC PASTRY DOUGH
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cream the butter and sugar. Stir in the egg yolk, and add the flour.
- Be prepared to get messy, working the dough with your hands until it is well blended and smooth.
- Break the dough in to around 15 pieces of equal size. Press each piece into a buttered muffin tin to coat the bottom and the side. Next up: the filling!
- Beat the butter, sugar and almond paste together. When it's creamy and free from lumps, beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Sift in the flour; blend well until the batter is smooth.
- Spoon the filling into the pastry-lined muffin tins.
- Bake for an average of 28 minutes until golden and yummy looking. Let cool for 10 minutes and gently unmold.
Mix the powdered sugar with the water until smooth—try not to make it too runny.
Spread the icing on the mazarins while they are still slightly warm. After a few minutes, the frosting should look like a fine, slightly opaque glaze over the tops of the pastries.