Grandma Evelyn's Gingerbread Men
- 4 cups of flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger (make sure it's good)
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cinnamon (I added this)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup soft unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp corn syrup
- 1/2 cup light molasses
- For frosting: powdered sugar and vanilla extract
- measuring cups and spoons
- rolling pin
- cookie cutters and knife
- cookie sheet
- wax paper or parchment paper
- Sift the dry ingredients together into the bowl.
- Make a well. In the well, beat with your hand, the butter with the sugar and then add the eggs. Beat again.
- Add molasses and corn surup. Combine everything.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Roll out the dough. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters or use a little knife in case you don't have the right cutter to carve out what you want.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake in 350° F oven for about 12 minutes. If you like them a little tender, take them out when set, and if you like them crispy, wait for them to get a little color at the edges. Rotate cookie sheets from top to bottom and front to back.
- Mix a little water with enough powdered sugar to make a slghtly stiff frosting. (It needs to be able to come through a frosting tube, but you don't want it to be runny.) I add a drop of vanilla extract.
- Make a pastry tube with wax paper or parchment and pipe on the faces and clothing. Don't restrict yourself to what people expect!