Grandma Chang's Cookies
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tbsp boiling water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate, chopped
- measuring cups and spoons
- small saucepan
- 2 mixing bowls
- mixing spoon
- cutting board and knife
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
Recipe submitted by:
- Preheat the oven to 300° F.
- In a pot, bring a cup of water to boil.
- Sift the salt and flour together in one of the mixing bowls.
- Once the flour is sifted, add in the coconut and oats and then stir until combined.
- In the other mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until the butter is fluffy and there are no more large clumps of sugar.
- Measure out two tablespoons of boiling water and pour into the butter mixture; stir until combined.
- Add the vanilla into the butter mixture.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until the flour is almost fully combined.
- On a cutting board, cut the dark chocolate bars until the pieces are around 1 cm². Stir in the chocolate chunks and mix until fully combined.
- Scoop the dough into 2 Tbsp portions and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; you will get around twelve cookies. Flatten the cookie dough into desired shapes (they will not spread out too much in the oven).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies have enough structure to be lifted off of the baking sheet.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes and then enjoy!