- Cream butter and sugar in bowl.
- Add eggs and molasses and mix.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat at medium speed until smooth.
- Spread batter in a greased 9" x 13" pan (or 9" square).
- Bake at 350° F until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes in a 9" x 13" pan or 40 minutes in a 9" square pan.
- In saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring the whole time, until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon zest, juice and butter.
- Spoon warm lemon sauce over cake.