- Cover lentils with water, soak for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Saute onions and garlic with oil in a large soup pot until golden.
- Mix tomato paste and paprika into the onions and garlic.
- Add remaining ingredients to onion mixture, stir well, cover, bring to a boil.
- Add lentils, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 min (until lentils have softened).
- Add the lemon or lime juice and serve hot.
This recipe is always a crowd pleaser, even for kids and adults who don't usually like beans or lentils. We find it tasty when served over egg noodles but you can also serve it with rice, quinoa, or injera (the traditional ethiopian flatbread). Young kids love dipping raw veggies into the lentils and it helps round out the meal.