Eggy Toast Cups
- 6 slices multigrain bread
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (or other preferred cheese), shredded
- 1/2 cup tomato, diced
- 6 medium eggs
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- optional toppings: fresh salsa, guacamole, baby arugula, parsley
- measuring cup
- rolling pin
- pastry brush
- muffin tin
Recipe submitted by:
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Flatten each bread slice with a rolling pin until very thin. Trim crusts off bread (optional). Lightly brush both sides of bread with melted butter. Cut each slice in half diagonally.
- Place two bread halves in 1 muffin cup, with cut-sides-facing and bread corners sticking up above rims. Ensure the bottom of the muffin cup is completely covered. Repeat with remaining bread slices.
- Bake bread at 375° for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Divide shredded cheese and diced tomato into each cup. Crack 1 egg into each cup. Sprinkle eggs evenly with salt and pepper.
- Bake an additional 16-18 minutes, or until desired doneness of egg yolk is achieved.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Gently twist eggy cups out of each muffin tin. Top with additional desired toppings. Enjoy!