- Soak the fruit in orange juice and flavourings in a medium-sized bowl while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in water—add a tsp of the sugar to feed the yeast.
- In another medium-sized bowl, melt the butter and add the milk, sugar, salt and lemon peel. Stir to dissolve the sugar, heating a bit more if required. Cool to lukewarm. Add to yeast mixture in the large bowl and add the 2 cups of flour. Mix well and let stand about a half hour for the yeast to work.
- Stir and mix in eggs, soaked fruit with the liquid, cinnamon and enough flour to make a soft but not sticky dough. Be careful not to add too much flour, or it will be dry. Add the toasted almonds and knead in.
- Place dough in a large, greased bowl and cover with a tea towel. Allow to rise in a warm place until it's doubled.
- Punch down and divide into 4–6 pieces. (Four makes large loaves and six makes moderate-sized loaves.) Roll each piece into an oval about 3/4 " thick. Brush surface with beaten egg.
- Take one of the longer sides and fold over almost in half like an envelope. Place on a baking sheet and allow to rise again until almost doubled in size. Brush with beaten egg and bake at about 350° F for about 25–30 minutes or until done. Do not over bake or it becomes dry. When cool, you may sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Slice and serve.
When you plan to make this recipe, you'll need about 3 hours of rising time in addition to the preparation time.