- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- ¼ cup Monterey Jack or other mild cheese
- 4 eggs, separated
- medium saucepan
- stirring spoon
- mixing bowl
- electric beater
- 4 ramekins
- large pan
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter and stir in cornmeal.
- Add milk and cheese. Stir over medium heat until cheese is melted and sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in egg yolks.
- In separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into cornmeal mixture.
- Pour into four individual ramekins (greased). Set in pan of water.
- Bake 45 minutes or until puffed and golden.