- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 60 mL (4 Tbsp) vegetable oil
- 10 mL (2 tsp) ground cumin
- 10 mL (2 tsp) minced ginger
- 20 mL (4 tsp) ground turmeric
- 10 mL (2 tsp) salt
- 1 L (4 cups) water
- 15 mL (1 Tbsp) garam masala
- 375 mL (1.5 cups) vegetables of your choice
- cilantro, as desired
- cutting board and knife
- garlic press
- measuring cups and spoons
- large frying pan or pot
- wooden spoon
Recipe submitted by:
adapted from Rupi Samra
- Chop the onions and tomatoes and press the garlic. Drain and rinse the chickpeas in a colander.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan or pot over medium heat. Add in cumin and heat for about 20 seconds.
- Add onions, garlic and ginger, and cook for 15 minutes. Stir every minute or so and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add turmeric and salt. Cook for 1 minute over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Mix in chickpeas, vegetables and water. Continue to cook and stir until all ingredients are well blended and heated through.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in garam masala and cilantro just before serving, reserving 15 mL of cilantro for garnish.
- Garnish with remaining cilantro.