- In a large heavy-bottomed pan, heat oil on medium-high for 1 minute. Add onion and sauté for about 8 minutes, or until light golden on the edges. (Don't overcook the red onion, as it is meant to give a sweeter taste to this curry.)
- Add garlic and sauté for 2–3 minutes, then add tomatoes and stir well.
- Add turmeric, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, pour in water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid carefully and stir in green beans. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes, or until beans are just slightly crunchy and chicken is cooked (74° C or 165° F).
Meeru and Vikram write,
Although this recipe calls for boneless thigh meat, you can just as easily use bone-in thigh (just make sure it's enough meat for six servings and add an extra cup of water so you can get a nice chicken broth in your curry)... Serve this dish with rice, couscous, pita bread, naan or even boiled potatoes.