- FOR THE PATTIES
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- dash of BBQ spice
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup finely chopped oatmeal
- 1/3 cup ketchup (or favourite BBQ sauce)
- TO ASSEMBLE BURGERS
- Boston lettuce, washed
- brioche hamburger buns
- sliced pickles (2 per burger)
- bacon, cooked (2 slices per burger)
- extra aged white cheddar cheese
- cream cheese
- FOR CARAMELIZED ONIONS
- 10 Spanish onions, sliced
- 100 mL olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter
- dash of salt and pepper
- 35–50 mL maple syrup
- 5–10 mL truffled olive oil
- cutting board and knife
- large sauté pan with lid
- measuring cups and spoons
- large mixing bowl
- dish to hold caramelized onions
- butter knife
Recipe submitted by:
- Slice the cheese and then the onions, reserving one onion that you'll mince very finely for the beef patty.
- Put a bit of oil and then add butter to a large sauté pan. At medium-high, cook the first batch of onions (not very long: 2-3 minutes).
- Mix all the patty ingredients (including the minced onion) in the mixing big bowl, adding all the dry ingredients first and finishing with the meats. Make sure everything is well mixed.
- Caramelize (in batches) the rest of the onions in the sauté pan at medium-high, making sure to add oil at first and then add butter a couple of times throughout the cooking process. The onions should first turn white then clear and shiny, diminishing to 1/4 of their original size, eventually turning a caramel-like colour (but not black or burned, which can happen at too high a temperature.
- At this point, add a touch of truffled olive oil and maple syrup. Reserve and repeat for other batches.
- Cook beef patties on each side, making sure they are well done. Add cheddar chunks on top of each patty and cover the pan with the lid (high enough not to touch).
- Toast buns. Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on the buns and assemble the burger, not forgetting the onions. Any other dressing (mayo-tomato-ketchup-mustard, etc.) is irrelevant because, by itself, this will have all the flavours needed.