School tools: everything you need to make going back to school a snap
Feel like you could use a hand as the school year gets back underway? Never fear, our school tool kit is here to help!
We’ve rounded up our favourite blog posts to make your back-to-school transition a snap: you’ll find mealtime hacks (including snack suggestions to get you through after-school hangry hour); ideas for after-school activities; and all of our popular school posts rounded up in one place. So get ready to enjoy this school year: we’ve got a recipe for good times ahead!
Going back to school can make mornings feel like a whirlwind. Here are some fresh strategies for making breakfast in minutes, as well as recipes for breakfasts that will keep your kids energized. And if lunch has you down, we’ve got tutorials on how to re-energize packing school lunches, and hacks for making packing lunch an easy part of your post-dinner routine. As sports get underway, we've got lots of suggestions for after-school snacks that will power kids up through the 3:30 hangry hour and beyond for their activities. And of course, we've always got tons of fall dinner ideas—new ones are being added all the time to our recipe archives!
Eating together is an inviting space for learning. Get ready to cook up some confidence in subjects like math, science, history and more...just don't forget to eat your homework at the end!
- Astronomy: As the days get darker... get outside and enjoy it! Here’s how to plan a star-gazing picnic, whether you’re outside gazing at the planets...or camped out in your living room on a rainy night checking out the view of Earth from the International Space Stations Earth cams.
- Biology: Grow your kiddo’s interest in science by growing something you can all eat! Check out our tutorials on how to start your own micro-garden or indoor kitchen garden. And check out this post for tasty experiments with microbiology and yeast—aka yogurt and pizza dough!
- Chemistry and Physics: How do you tweak your chocolate chip cookies to be exactly to your taste? Can you walk on eggs? We’ve got fun introductions to chemistry and physics through experiments you can eat, and you’ll love sampling your results.
- English: Looking for ways to to savour reading together? Try this round-up of our favourite after-dinner reads and recipes.
- History: What did Romans eat? How far back in time can we cook? Learn about historical rhyming recipes, family recipes and how to eat like your historical heroes.
- Math: Sharpen your kid’s math skills through cooking—we've got recipes to help with measurement, volumes and patterns.
- Social Studies: A meal can give you your first taste of a different culture, or inspire you to learn more about your own. We’ve got great reads on outdoor cooking as well as cool treats from around the world—and lots of recipe inspiration for autumn harvest traditions, including The Mid-Autumn Moon Festival, Oktoberfest, Thanksgiving, Halloween and Diwali.
Cooking is a great way to unwind together after a long day—in fact, there's some evidence that it helps anxious kids relax and focus. Here's how to keep calm and cook instead of managing after-school meltdowns. Plus, we've got fun kitchen-centric activity ideas for when the weather outside is frightful (for more activity ideas, check out our follow-up post) as well as cooking projects to try together. And if you're looking to upgrade kiddo's cooking skills? Try our popular knife skills for kids tutorial, or our features on getting every age—from toddlers to teens—having fun in the kitchen.
To celebrate the end of a big week at school, there's nothing better than a family dinner and a movie—here you'll find recipes to cosy up with at the end of the week, plus a round-up of foodie movies.
Got back-to-school hacks you'd like to share, or an autumn meal you swear by? We want to hear about it! Head to our Facebook or Instagram feeds to connect with us or to get inspired with daily recipe and activity ideas.