Lose the Tie! Throw Dad a Treasure Hunt Picnic for Father’s Day
A Treasure Hunt picnic is a creative way for the whole family to celebrate Dad this Father's Day!
Image Source: Watermelon Board www.watermelon.org
We’re betting he already has a tie. Surprise him instead: for Father’s Day, tell Dad he’s your hero with a treasure-hunt themed picnic! It’s simple to put this picnic together with your kids and a treasure hunt doesn’t need to—ahem—break the bank, since most of these ideas can be carried out with the help of some basic kitchen staples...and a little family creativity.
X Marks the Spot:
To get the hunt started, make him a treasure map that’ll lead him to your picnic spot. Invisible ink is easy to make out of basic ingredients like lemon juice or baking soda. And for an even more pirate-y effect, put your message in a bottle.
Feast Fit for a King:
Picnics are great: the food is simple and fun, and there’s something for everyone. If you’re pressed for time, keep it simple with sandwiches like these tasty tuna ones. Or, try this round-up of picnic treats if you’re looking to up your game slightly. Of course, if you’re looking to up your game by a lot, we have three words for you: watermelon treasure chest. And if you make this, we want an invitation to your picnic!
On With the Hunt
Busy families can keep the treasure-hunt part of this picnic simple by hiding some chocolate gold coins in their garden and using clues (or excited small children) to lead Dad from place to place. Families with more time and/or older children might organize a scavenger hunt together in a park before the picnic. If Dad is a shutter-bug, lead him on a photo hunt around town (see ideas below!) before finishing at your favourite spot—and snapping a shot of your picnic for posterity! Whatever you do, don’t worry about getting too elaborate—at the end of the day, the point is to have a good time together and to take the time to treasure the dad in your life. Happy Father’s Day!
Father’s Day photo hunt list:
Here are a few ideas for your Father’s Day hunt—see how many of these moments you can get Dad to capture on camera!
- Dad’s favourite spot at your house
- Dad’s favourite spot in your town
- entire family in front of an ice cream truck (if you are all licking an ice cream, so much the better)
- entire family reflected in a surface other than glass
- entire family pretending to fight, then being friends
- family member pretending to be a mannequin in a store (bonus points if they dress like the mannequin!)
- entire family on a spiral staircase
- entire family next to a fire truck (automatic win if you can get Dad in the driver’s seat!)
- family member sitting on a statue
- family members group-hugging Dad
And if you snap a shot of your picnic, we’d love to see it! Share it with us on our Facebook Page or on Twitter or Pinterest. Happy Father’s Day!